General / COVID
- There is no gender requirement rule this season that requires a female to be on the court at all times
- Referees are not permitted to use whistles
- There is a designated entrance and another designated Exit. All players must enter and leave through these gates
- Players may not enter the courts until all participants from the previous match have exited the facility
- All players must execute a waiver prior to the start of the season and acknowledge health care questionnaire form weekly before matches in order to play.
- All players must join OpenSports in order to fill out health questionnaire form so League can conduct Contact Tracing if necessary.
- Masks are not required when playing but must be worn when not on the court, this includes subs waiting to play
- All players are guaranteed to play at least half the match weekly.
Three sets to 21, rally scoring, cap at 23.
- Third game switch @ 11, (first team to get to 11).
- 1 time out per set
- Teams can play with a minimum of 3 players
- First set 10 minutes from start time, Set 2 10 minutes after, Set 3 10 minutes after.
- If a team forfeits two matches over the course of a single season, Big City reserves the right to throw that team out of the League without refunding the entrance fee.
- Only one toss or release of the ball is allowed. Dribbling or moving the ball in the hands is permitted.
- At the moment of the service hit or take-off for a jump service, the server must not touch the court (the end line included) or the sand outside the service zone.
- After the hit, you may step or land outside the service zone, or inside the court.
- The server must contact the ball within 8 seconds after the first referee whistles for service.
- A service executed before the referee’s whistle is cancelled and repeated.
- The ball shall be hit with one hand or any part of the arm after being tossed or released from the hand(s).
- You cannot block or attack an opponent’s serve.
Net Play & Faults
- Players may touch the post, ropes, or any other object outside the antenna, provided that it does not interfere with play.
- When the ball is driven into the net, causing it to touch an opponent, no fault is committed.
- To touch the opponent’s court with any part of the body is permitted provided that it does not interfere with the opponent’s play
- A player may enter the opponent’s court after the ball goes out of play.
- Players may penetrate into the opponent’s free zone provided that they do not interfere with the OPPONENT’S play.
- A Ball traveling to the opposing side can never touch any objects in it’s travel.
- Sets, Carries, Double Contact
- The ball may touch various parts of the body, provided that the contacts take place simultaneously. Double contact on ANY first ball is legal.
- The ball must not be caught and/or thrown.
- The ball must enter and exit both hands simultaneously, on 2nd and third contact!
Attack / Block
- To block or attack an opponent’s service is forbidden.
- A back-row player, can NOT down-ward attack a ball in the front-row unless they jumped before the 10 foot line and landed in the front row. He or she may hit/set or free-ball the only upwards, in the front-row while staying grounded.
- A player cannot touch the ball or an opponent in the opponent’s space before or during the opponent’s attack hit.
- A player can not interfere with the opponent’s play while penetrating into the opponent’s space under the net.