Big City Volleyball is ALWAYS on the lookout for qualified individuals to Referee & Coach!
To qualify, applicants should possess a strong knowledge of the game of volleyball (the rules, subtleties, and of course complete mastery of what is and isn’t a carry, etc.). Ideally, you have officiated previously (possibly in college, high school, at tournaments, Club, USA Volleyball, GEVA, etc.) or have coaching experience.
You may not be qualified if you have only been playing the game for just a few years. But we have found that passionate players with good people skills can make very good refs and/or coaches, after a little training in the Big City way.
Referee & Coaching candidates should be available to work two or three evenings a week including weekends. For most weekday activities, you should be on-site around 6pm. Weekend and summer start times vary.
- 21 years of age or older
- Must be consistently available to work evenings 6pm-10pm and/or weekends 10-6pm
- Knowledge of rules for officiating Volleyball
- Referee certifications are a plus but not required
- Prior participation as an athlete/coach in a recreational, high school or collegiate program in volleyball
- Previous coaching or instructing experience and ability to Coach Kids and Adults is a plus
- Good people skills! Motivated and responsible candidates only, please!
- Basic tech-savviness (owns/can operate a smartphone, good email communication skills)
- Build relationships with players, parents, and staff
- Physically lift heavy equipment, move, run, sprint, and play
- Physically demonstrate referee signals to participants
- Follow the Big City Volleyball referee guidelines
- Set up and Breakdown Volleyball equipment
- Ability to communicate clearly with players
- Digital (email) communication via smartphone (report scores, coaching feedback, send photos, etc).
- Great volleyball work environment!
- Flexible (weekly) schedule
- Staff outings / volleyball matches
- Complimentary Open Plays
- Big City Volleyball Sports Apparel
Readiness to both referee AND coach is a plus, though we won’t turn you away if you are only comfortable doing one.
Security Positions: Additionally, we are also looking for individuals who can commit to running security at some of our locations. Responsibilities include: arriving on-time, communication with School & Big City Staff, checking ID’s, signing in players. (Must Have A Working Cell Phone AT ALL TIMES!!!) You will also be trained to set up volleyball equipment as well. You must be friendly, comfortable being around lots of people, be able to give clear directions, and stay in communication with everyone.